Hell of a Lot of Work

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Friday 14 September 1945, 6:40 PM

Dearest Eleanor,
          Okinawa may be one thousand miles north of the Philippines but it certainly isn't any cooler.  The temperature went up to one hundred and two this afternoon. Because of the lower humidity, it seemed cooler than Leyte. 
          My "tochas" is still sore but I've been comfortable except for a few minutes after a BM.  Anyway tomorrow I'm going back to work.  I have quite a backlog of patients to take care of so I'll be quite busy for the next week or so.
          This afternoon I settled down and wrote letters to both mothers, Libby and Ruth.  Tomorrow I'll write Uncle Mike, Uncle Bill and Deb.  Then I'll be about caught up.
          Mail came aboard in the late afternoon and I really hit the jackpot.  I got eleven letters and a card from you, a letter from Libby, two letters from your mother and my electric shave to boot.
          I know how disappointed you must feel at my not coming directly home.  However I do expect to be back in the United States before the end of the year and maybe long before.  Here is the situation.  A service force supplies troops and ships with fuel, food, clothing and repair necessary for maintaining an active force.  Naturally there are no establishments ashore yet but as soon as they are built, the headquarters will be established ashore and we won't be needed anymore.  That is the long way of looking at it.  Admiral Smith should have another flagship within three weeks.  There is a very good chance of our returning home then. Believe me we are all praying that will be so.  Anyway you needn't be concerned about my safety because Japan is well under control now.
          It sounds like your last days in Arrowhead were quite full.  I hope you didn't let Ruth spoil your stay by hurrying you home before you had planned. My guess, however, is that you were fed up with the inconvenience of the place and that you were ready to get back to decent comfort.
          I received the gold braid and the tailor will go to work on it in the morning
          The war is over but there is still a hell of a lot of work to be done.  Did you know that Marine Corps officers need sixty points to get out?  I wouldn't be at all surprised, even if Leon doesn't think so, to hear that he was sent out again.  He has had a tour of duty overseas but he's been back in the United States a long time and there are still many doctors out here who'll need relieving.  Now you know about the extra quarter point per month for sea duty.  I'm expecting extra points for children to be announced soon.  Of course it doesn't hurt for civilians to write their congressman. I bet they are doing plenty of writing.
          Tonight's movie is "Patrick the Great" with Donald O'Connor and Peggy Ryan.  It should be amusing. 
          Now Sweet please try to hold on a little longer.  The going has been rough and you've been alone and unhappy.  But deep down, we were always together in spirit and very soon now we'll be together physically.  Keep smiling and one of these days I'll be writing you the wonderful news you've been looking and praying for.
          Goodnight my love.  I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil
P.S.    We are supposed to sail from here on Tuesday 18 September so there'll be another break in mail.
Gil








No comments:

Post a Comment