Leaving for Home in Ten Days

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 27 September 1945, 9:45 PM
My Dearest,
          Well here I am again.  We are still leaving for home soon, in about ten days.  Will know more about it in a day or so.
          Today was just another day.  I worked a little this morning and saw one man this afternoon.  The rest of the time I just loafed around.  By the time we get back I'll be the laziest man in the world.  I finished reading "For My Great Folly," a historical novel by T.B. Costain and began "The Star Spangled Virgin" by Du Bose Heyward.
          Tonight's movie, "The Fighting Guardsman" wasn't bad at all.  In one of your recent letters you said you didn't like it so I was prepared for the worst.  I guess we aren't as critical as home audiences.
          Yesterday, we had a lieutenant report aboard for temporary duty.  He looked Jewish to me and I guess I did to him too.  He had looked up my records and came in to visit a few minutes ago.  He has 44 points and is on his second tour of duty outside the United States.  He hails from Cincinnati and tickled to be aboard because of the fact that we're probably homeward bound.
          He brought out his album and I did mine.  I ran across some snaps I thought I had sent home.  I didn't so here they are.  They were taken a long time ago in Ulithi.  Save them as I don't have the negatives.  From the pictures you can assume two things.  We always drank beer and played cards.  That is right.  What else could a fellow do?
          I got a letter from you marked 21 September and one from Dr. Ivie.  He is still in Pearl and very unhappy.  Until I read the second page, your letter had me quite
worried.  Thank goodness Linda is okay.  She sure takes after her mother when it comes to throwing up.
          I'm glad Dave is a civilian again.  He didn't fight a very hard war.  He and Deb were together a lot more than we were.  Anyway I'm glad he is out.  Soon I'll be home and I'll be in civvies myself not long after that.  You'll see.
          No more for now Sweet so goodnight and happy dreams.
Love,
Gil


PHOTOS TAKEN IN ULITHI
(captions Gil wrote on backs)

Whew is he stinkin!


Play Hearts and Drink Beer


Beer, beer, more beer
With Engineering Officer


The camera man must have been higher than us


Husking a coconut 


Playing hearts and drinking beer on Mog Mog Isle 

Heart, all hearts and the queen on spades too




No comments:

Post a Comment