Big Bang

Wednesday, 23 October 1945, 10:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          I was OD today so I had to hang around all day.  In the morning, after mustering the men, we walked over to the photo lab at the CB Camp and arranged to have some film developed.  Maybe I'll have some interesting pictures to send home in a few days.
          Then I read for awhile and soon it was time for lunch.  At 1:00 P.M. I mustered the men again and then some more loafing around.  After dinner we went to the movies and saw "Jesse James."
          When we got back from the show I found four letters from you and one from Libby.  Your letters are dated 6, 8, 10, and 11 October.  About office space--don't obligate yourself for anything.  There will be enough time to arrange things when I get home.  Why?  Because I'll have at least two months to work things out, I don't want to rush into anything.
          Read the interesting article and am looking forward to when we'll be together again.  In the meantime I'm returning the article to you.
          Still, your estimate of December 9 for my homecoming should hold good.  This sitting around and doing nothing is driving me nuts but I'll try to make the best of it.  In the meantime I'm hoping the gold braid will get off their asses and survey the Ocelot.  Then she can be decommissioned in short order and we'll be able to move on.
          As for Xmas gifts, I personally won't be able to bring anything with me.  The few things I had I lost.  I hope we won't stop over anyplace long enough to do any shopping.  Anyway we'll know in enough time if I'll be able to help you with your shopping.  Even if I don't leave here until 15 November, I should still be home by 9 December.
          Received the clipping from the Outlook.  All the officers got a big bang out of it.  However it was cut up so that it gave all a laugh.
          Again dear, don't do anything at all about an office till I get home.  Glad you dropped the new car idea.  We'll have lots of time and fun arranging and planning my new office.
          In the meantime Sweet, good night and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil

Was this the clipping from the Outlook? 














No comments:

Post a Comment