Like Yesterday and The Day Before

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Wednesday 3 October 1945, 1:30 AM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Darling here I am again and a little late or should I say early in the morning.  Well you see it was this way.  Roger Kirk, who has been waiting for his relief for two months now, had a couple of fliers visit him.  They are staying aboard. We've all been sitting up having a few drinks and just visiting. When I get ashore one of them has promised to get a jeep and show me Okinawa. I'll take a rain check on his promise.   
          I did have a few appointments this morning but it didn't take me long to clean up for the day.  The rest of the time went like yesterday and the day before.  
          I finished "Mr. Winkle Goes to War." I am almost through with "Young Man with a Horn" a story about a talented trumpet player.  I am enjoying the book a lot and think you'd like it too.  The author is Dorothy Baker.
          Tonight's movie was "Blood on the Sun" with James Cagney and Sylvia Sidney.  It was a good movie though some of the sequences weren't quite convincing.
          No mail at all today so I'm hoping for a jackpot tomorrow.  The wind shifted and it's really cool tonight.  In fact we broke out blankets.  I think I'll use mine tonight.
          Nothing new about when we leave or when you can expect me.  I bet I'm just as anxious about it all as you are.
          That is thirty for tonight Sweet so "nite-nite" and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil



Newspaper article from the Santa Monica Evening Outlook

The nightly movie




No comments:

Post a Comment