Work on Ship Moving Right Along

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Saturday 6 October 1945, 10:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Well I did a little work today but instead of having a few week's work I'll have only a couple of days.  I guess I worked too hard at it before.  Now there is nothing to do.
          Dr. Bushyager's relief came aboard today, so Bushy should be leaving in a couple of days.   He got air transportation authorized in his orders, so he'll be back in the United States inside of ten days.
          Although we haven't received anything official, we heard over the radio that officers only need 45 points now.  Just as I figured I'll have enough points by March 1 or sooner if there are any more reductions.  However don't plan on my being out when I get back.  I'll be lacking a few points.  Being a dentist I can work for a month or more in the United States without having to learn a new job as line officers would.
          Work on the ship is moving right along.  If the weather stays nice, repairs should be complete long before the 22nd and then we'll be on our way.
          Today, the mail brought me two letters from you and a card from Ethyl.  Your letters were marked the 24th. Those letters were slow in coming.  I've received letters through the 29th.  Catalina sounds good to me.  I know we'll enjoy our vacation there next year.  It's a date.
          Tonight's movie was "Those Endearing Young Charms" with Robert Young and Lorraine Day.  It was amusing, in fact good for a few laughs. We also had a community sing film.  We all sang lustily.
          Five of us are planning to go ashore tomorrow.  Every time we plan to go something happens.  Hope tomorrow will be different.
          Goodnight darling.  I love you.
Your faraway husband,
Gil

Medical officers
Gil (left) and Bushy (right)




No comments:

Post a Comment