Scarce as Hen's Teeth

Monday, 22 October 1945, 9:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Spent another lazy day in camp.  An officer with another group of survivors had a tooth ache so I took him over to the CB dental dispensary and filled two teeth.  The rest of the day was spent just loafing, reading, playing cribbage and generally killing time.
          My claim for lost personal gear and uniforms went in this morning.  I estimated my loss at $495.  I'll be surprised if they allow me even $400.  However with my prospects of being out of the Navy before the year is out, I'll need to spend very little of the money on clothing or other personal gear.  I bought a $17.50 Remington Electric shaver for $10.50 from the ship's store.  Both my watches are gone so I'm looking for a watch too.  They are as scarce as hen's teeth out here, but maybe I'll connect with something.
          After dinner (Spam again) I went to the movies and saw "Valley of Decision" for the second time and now here I am.
          I got two letters of the 5th from you and one from your mother.  Little by little the sacks of mail in the wrecked post office are being salvaged and being delivered.  The story of the storm is slightly mixed up.  However the general idea is there. This last one was much worse but things happened so fast that it takes the stories of several men put together to get any continuity on what happened.   Someday soon I'll tell you all about it.
          The mosquitoes on the island have taken quite a liking to me.  I have several beautiful bites.  It has been raining on and off.  The rainfall for this month has reached a total of eleven and a fraction inches.  Normal is about three inches.  That makes an excess of 7.8 inches for the month.  No wonder this place is so muddy.
          That is the story for today Sweetheart.  The ship is slowly being stripped but still no news as to when we will head back.  Goodnight Darling and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil

Wrecked Post Office



Slightly mixed up story of the first typhoon. From the Santa Monica Evening Outlook 





No comments:

Post a Comment