$15 for a Piece

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 25 June 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello again.  I've had quite a busy day today. To begin with I had a full morning and even had a couple emergencies from other craft.  Then I had an early lunch, a steak sandwich from the general mess.
          At noon both doctors and I went over to a hospital ship to attend a meeting of Medical, Dental, and Hospital Corps officers.  There was quite a mob.  I'd guess over four hundred.  They served a light lunch which I didn't partake except for the dessert, ice cream.  Then several papers were presented on various Medical and Dental problems occurring in forward areas and under battle conditions.  All in all it was an interesting and educational meeting.  We are supposed to have another soon.
          I got three letter today marked the 15th and 16th.  I see you taught right up to the end.  Well now you can relax and enjoy the fruits of your labors.
          Don't worry about Norma's not talking so well yet.  Many youngsters are like that and it is no indication of native intelligence.
          I do remember the Council House, but very vaguely.  After the war we will observe more of the Jewish holidays for the sake of the kids.  I always got a bang out of them and they should too.
          Don't worry about me doing anything foolish.  I have good duty here and I'd think twice before asking for a change except back to the states of course.
          You ask about the natives out here.  Well all the buildings and residences occupied by natives are "out of bound" to military personnel.  Of course there are many whose houses operate in spite of this order and many men are indulging and some to their sorrow later on. Several men from our ship went ashore and paid $15 for a "piece of ass."  One did it three times in one afternoon for $45.  Practically all the women are infected.  One medical officer ashore stated that 100% of the women he had examined were infected and many with more than one venereal disease.  I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pool.  It is too bad for the people but it seems that any place you go where the Japs have been before us, the same condition prevails.  No female was spared if she was old enough to give them satisfaction.
          The clothes the natives wear are typically American, so there is nothing to buy.
          Last night's movie "Two Girls and a Sailor" is the best movie we've ever had aboard.  Tonight we have Olsen and Johnson in "Crazy House" and I can't recall if I've seen it or not.
          No more for now so I'll sign off.  Goodnight my Sweet, I love you.
Always yours,
Gil








No comments:

Post a Comment