Farewell Dinner for Commodore Carter

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 9 June 1945, 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, how's my darling tonight?  For myself I'm still at it.  Worked as usual this morning and even took care of a couple of patients this afternoon.  Then I worked some more on the gadget I'm making for you. I wrecked it so now I'm starting all over again.  I'll still try to finish tomorrow.
          We had a special farewell dinner tonight for the commodore and after chow the captain invited the doctor and me to join him and the commodore in a game of cribbage until movie time. The picture tonight was an oldie I had seen in San Diego.  It was "Sensations of 1945" with Eleanor Powell.  However there was lots of good music and entertainment in it.  I enjoyed it just as much as the first time.  Do you remember the circus we attended in San Diego?  Well the whole troupe was featured in the movie.
          There was no mail for me again today so I'm really hoping for the jackpot tomorrow.
          Although the weather out here was supposed to be just as hot and sticky as our last station, so far it has been more comfortable.  We have frequent rains but the best part of the deal is that it is overcast a great deal of the time so the sun doesn't beat its rays down on us all day long.  I sure hope it keeps up.
          Honey, I forgot to mention when I wrote about my tour of the town that I saw about five dental offices and one doctor's office.  The next time I go into town I'm going to pay a call on one or two of the dentists and see how they practice out here.  The most amazing thing, however, was the abundance of beauty parlors.  They are so Americanized that the signs all have picture of American women on them rather than native women.
          One of our officers fell down an open hold and broke his leg and wrists.  Prior to evacuation back to the states, he is over on a hospital ship.
          That's all the dope for tonight.  Goodnight Darling, gee how time is dragging this month.  Wish I'd get busy again.  Bye again Sweet and I'll see you in my dreams.
Loving you always,
Gil


Undated message from the Commodore below. The article in Wikepedia appears to have the wrong date for his departure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cascade_(AD-16)#A_Personal_Message_from_the_Commodore_to_all_hands_in_Service_Squadron_10










No comments:

Post a Comment