Two Girls and a Sailor

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 24 June 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, here it is Sunday again. It really isn't any different than any other day.  I did begin work at 9:00 AM instead of 8:30 AM but that was the only difference.
          After a busy morning and chow I finished reading "Postman Always Rings Twice" and began Thorne Smith's "Passionate Witch."  Then I had to arrange Catholic and Protestant services on deck and before I knew it was 5:15 and time to shower and dress for dinner.
          No cribbage game so here I am a little bit early.  The mail brought me one letter from you postmarked the 17th.  I've still to receive the 15th and 16th but that's the ways it goes.  Today's letter really thrilled me.  Those three photos of the kids are swell.   My how they've grown.  I'd better hurry home or my two little girls will be grown up young ladies.  Oh well something should pop in the next month or two. Maybe I'll get home long before Xmas.
          I guess Norma's party was on the 17th instead of the 20th.  The package I sent probably didn't get there in time but you should have received it by now.  How long is it taking for my mail to reach you now?
          We have a good movie tonight, "Two Girls and a Sailor" with Van Johnson, June Allison and Jimmy Durante.  However I always go, good or bad.
          So darling you are blue again.  Now dear I'm lonesome and miss you and the kids but I try not to let it get me down.  I know it's hard to do but I do, and I'm making the best of it.  The letter I received from Dr.  Ivie's several days ago indicates that he is quite homesick and unhappy.  It's got the best of him.  It does no good to feel sorry for yourself.  In any case no one else will feel sorry for you.  So the thing to do is to be cheerful and make the best of this situation.  It can't be long now before there'll be some changes.
          In the meantime Honey, think about how much fun it'll be when we are all together again.   Keep smiling.
Loving you always
Gil








The three photos--in dancing school costumes

 Linda--Snow Ballet


Norma--Bunny 


Linda--Dutch Doll

No comments:

Post a Comment