G. I. Honeymoon

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 22 June 1945, 11:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Today has been just the usual thing.  I worked all morning and from 1:00 to 2:00 P.M.  I was just in time to catch a boat going over to the beach and had a few drinks there.  We got back at 5:30. I just had time to wash up before dinner.
          After chow we played our regular game of cribbage.  Tonight's movie was amusing but because of poor direction (I think) it missed being a swell sophisticated comedy.  It was "G.I. Honeymoon" with unknown leads.  The lines are good and in places quite suggestive.  Either the Hay's office turned over a new leaf or fell asleep.
          After the movie we sat around in the wardroom discussing the post-war economy and then our educational system.  It I hadn't quit we'd still be at it.
          I got another letter of the 14th today so here goes.  You've had quite a steady teaching assignment and I know the money will come in handy.  Talking about money, I'm getting $352 a month now.  Deduct $7.50 for insurance and the $225 I send you and I still have considerably over $100 left.  When I get home I'll get $20 less (my sea pay) and will be glad not to get it.
          We haven't had the movies you mention yet but should soon.
          I do hope Betty isn't picking up any money left lying around.  If she'll steal money, how do you know what else she'll walk out with one of these days?
          It's late, I'm sleepy and I still have a stack of mail to censor so goodnight my darling.  I'll see you in dreams.
Love,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment