What Budget?

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday June 1, 1945, 4:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          This morning I hit the jackpot.  I got thirteen letters, eight from you, two from Deb, and one each from Libby, your mother and mine.  However, I was busy all morning.  It was noon before I had a chance to read any of them.
          Now to your letters.  They were all written prior to the one I received Tuesday and cover the 15th to 18th inclusive.  I'm glad that Norma is about over her illness and pray that Linda will escape catching it.
          You didn't draw down too pleasant a teaching assignment this time, did you?  Oh well, the school year is about over and every dollar helps towards balancing the budget.  Don't ask me "what budget?"
          Sure wish I had a camera of my own.  This is a swell place for taking pictures.  Send on any film that you can get and I'll borrow a camera.  Even some 116 film will do.
          Sorry dear but even out here we don't have all the pens we need.  I only got the Sheaffer through some pull.  Besides $6.50 is too much for a gift.  Remember please, my total income is only $300 per month.  Take it easy we'll need plenty of surplus when I discard my blues and set up in practice again.  What do you want me to do? Put you on a budget like someone else we know?  Sorry to say it but you don't seem to realize that you're spending too much and expensive gifts are one place to cut down.
          Talking about candy and diets.  You know I have practically all the "vitamin pills" you sent me and also the salt water taffy from my mom.  I seldom eat any sweets though I do drink a coke two or three times a week.
          I'm glad you found my fountain pen.  I know it wasn't a very good one but they are hard to get.
          It's hard for me to understand anyone saying "gosh it's nice and hot."  If I never see hot weather again, I'll be satisfied.  At this moment the back of my shirt is soaked with perspiration.
          I've had my say on the fur coat dear.  However, if you've still got your heart set on it, you can have $100 cash for our anniversary.  My reserve is down to $275 now and I'd like to keep it around $300.  One never can tell when he'll need money in a hurry.
          Your mention of Monskey reminds me of an article in the April 7 Colliers called "Repelled and Miami Beachhead." Special mention is made of it in the B'nai B'rith Bulletin.
          When you get your budget worked out I'd like to see it.  I know things are high but still you're spending over $300 a month means that you're spending as much as before I got into the Navy.  How do I figure it?  Well we ran $500 a month then including payments on the house which you aren't making now.  Then we spent no more than $150 on amusement together so you figure it out.  I hate to harp on money but I'm getting a little worried when you say than soon there won't be any surplus.  Remember I have about $100 a month for insurance, too and there'll have to be a surplus to pay that until I get rolling again.  Don't tell me we have bonds. Those are savings and should stay so.  I really feel that with the $50 increase I'm expecting this month, you should be able to get by without using up too much from the bank account.  Bet Ruby doesn't spend that much a month. She still has a few friends and you can do it too.  I've had my say about money and I won't talk about it again.
          Let me explain how the ALNAV works.  The Navy Department sends out a message to all ships and stations saying advance to lieutenant all line and staff lieutenant (j.g.) with date of rank January 1 to January 31.  Individual names are seldom mentioned.  We won't get the ALNAV out here until around the 10th.
          Sweet I am enclosing a $100 check for Norma's birthday bond and incidentals.  Please don't feel badly about my harping on our finances.  I do love you and I know you aren't willingly squandering money, but I also know how big hearted and generous you are and I'm not there to apply the brakes as I used to.
          It is 4:55 and I must shower and change so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Darling until tomorrow.
Love,
Gil

P.S.    The movie tonight is "Eadie Was A Lady" with Ann Miller.  Don't know a thing about it.
Gil
          










No comments:

Post a Comment