Scuttlebutt Is Unreliable

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 2 June 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,   
          Hello Sweet, I hit the jackpot again today.  I got ten letters in all, eight from you and one each from Deb and Ethyl.  Outside of that today was very uneventful.  I worked all morning and didn't get to read my mail until after lunch.  Then a few of us went ashore and got back at 6:00 P.M. and now here I am.
          I really was disappointed about missing Sol. As an enlisted man it is pretty hard for him to get around but if I had known the ship he was on (and I would have if I'd had the name), it would have been a simple matter for me to make the run. Of course it would be nice if our ship would make the states once in awhile, but I really wouldn't care for duty on an APA.  They are always in there when the going is tough and they have plenty of casualties.  Don't say anything to the "Gs."  You see even Sol didn't know he was going back to Frisco when I did.  I can find out about others but not about myself.  Oh, well!
          I've never given up about getting back soon.  However so much of the scuttlebutt is unreliable, I don't mention stuff unless it is well founded.  Don't worry, I'll ask for Long Beach and I'm pretty sure to get it.
          What do you mean my course grades should be 4.0?  Don't worry I won't flunk and anything above 3.9-- is excellent.
          It is getting close to movie time so I'll secure until later.  Don't go away.  I'll be back soon.
          9:45 and here I am again Honey.  We had an excellent movie tonight.  It was "Conflict" with Humphrey Bogart, Alexis Smith and Sidney Greenstreet.  Now back to your letters.
          Bet I know the photography place Wallie is taking over.  Do you remember the young Jewish fellow who took some pictures at Linda's 4th or 5th birthday party? He is married to a shiksa and is in the Army.  It all ties up very nicely.
          Your news of Iz Goldman is interesting.  By the by, you sent me Simmy Marcus' address once and I misplaced it.  Also Vic Spitzer's.  How about sending them to me again.
          Cox is my roommate.  He is married and has three kiddies.  He has been in the Navy for about ten years and is a lieutenant (j.g.) with a permanent rank of chief yeoman.  You see after the war all men's rank will revert back to what they were at the beginning of the war or when they were first commissioned if they came in after the war started.  Peacetime promotions are very slow.  Of course invite him over.  He still hasn't left here.  Lord alone knows where his relief is.
          I love your ideas about our new home.  They certainly are not too crazy.
          Yes I went to a lot of trouble for my shells but it was lots of fun, and the effort well worth the results or vice versa.
          Linda seems to be spending lots of time on her dancing and it sounds like she is getting quite good at it.  Gosh it's been so long now since I've seen any of you that I wonder if I'll know how to act when I get back.  I've really been living in the present and try not to think of the past or future.  Thinking of the past brings back many loving memories and thoughts but also makes me homesick and blue.  Looking to the future makes time drag, so it's just today.  Tomorrow will take care of itself.
          I do love you Darling and while all those couples you write about are together, we are far apart.  That is, far apart physically, yet you are always in my thoughts.
          I'm all writ out for tonight so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Sweetheart, until tomorrow.
Yours alone,
Gil











No comments:

Post a Comment