Army Life is Rugged

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 27 June 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello my darling, how are you tonight?  Last night's movie "Phantom Lady" was an oldie that we saw together. Franchot Tone is the villain who strangles people with ties, scarves etc. Another is accused and convicted of the crimes because his alibi disappears.  Do you remember it now?  Of course everything turned out right in the end.
          Guess taking a whole day off is a bad idea. I was quite busy all day today and didn't finish up until 3:30.  Then I went to the barber's for a haircut.  After a nice shower I crawled into my bunk.  In my skivvies I censored and read mail until 5:30 when I dressed for dinner.
          Because of some connections I was able to buy a case of coke (36 bottles) and a case of "Toddy" chocolate milk drink (24 cans).  The whole thing set me back $3.85.  Guess I can afford it.
          Today, I've been thinking more about Army life--it is really rugged.  They get rationed about one egg a week while we get all we want.  They live on hard cots in tents while I have a bunk with a box spring and mattress.  The water they drink is so highly chlorinated that the fumes hit you in the face when you raise your glass to your mouth; our water comes from distilling plants.  Fresh meat is a delicacy while on our ship we are able to store enough fresh food for one thousand men for three months and we reprovision more frequently than that.  There are so many other advantages to Navy over Army life that I often wonder why more men didn't try the Navy in preference to the Army.
          Our movie tonight is Judy Garland in "Presenting Lily Mars."  I don't remember seeing it.  No mail today so that is thirty for tonight.
          Goodnight my sweet until tomorrow when we'll meet (poetry!)
Love,
Gil




Toddy

1945 Coke Bottle?

Movies



No comments:

Post a Comment