Black and White Mixture

Lt. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 19 June 1945, 10:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello my Sweet, here I am again and feeling much better than I did last night.  I doped myself with Codeine, APCs, and some Black and White mixture.  Had a good night's sleep and awoke with my cold practically gone.
          As usual, worked all morning. After lunch four of us got a boat and went over to the hospital ship to see Jim Lyons.  He is doing nicely and certainly is in good spirits. He should be evacuated soon.  We had a rough trip back.  It took an hour and the spray soaked me down pretty well.  Had a shower and then I censored mail until 5:30 when I dressed for dinner.
          After dinner we played cribbage until 7:30 and then went to the movies.  We had "Without Love" with Hepburn and Tracy.  It was very good.
          There was no mail today but I really didn't expect any.  I'm practically through with "It is Still the Morning" and I'm really enjoying it.
          By the way I took a box of those "vitamin pills" over to Lyons.  I still have another full box so you can see how much candy I eat.  I also have a full box of salt water taffy that my mother sent.
          After this letter I'll write to our mothers, Libby, Ethyl and others if I'm still holding out which I probably won't.
          Not a thing that's new since yesterday so I'll sign off.  Goodnight my Sweet, I'm just dreaming of our happy days together in the not too distant future.
Yours alone,
Gil



Leyte Gulf







No comments:

Post a Comment