Chief Engineer Fell Down a Ladder

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 8 March 1945, 10:15 PM
My Darling,
          This is the end of another busy day.  Worked all morning again and it was 11:45 before I was through.
          After lunch I relaxed and read the morning's mail.  I got four letters from you postmarked February 8, 10 and two on the 28th.  I also got a short note from Leon.
          At one o'clock I went down and sat in on a court marshal.  At two I had my wardroom mess statement audited, after which I returned to the court marshal.  However it was too hot so at three I gave up and came topside.
          Then I went to my room and read until 5:30 when I showered and dressed for dinner.  I was tired all afternoon and finally decided that the shot I got this morning (yes, another one) must be giving me a mild reaction.  Oh well in the morning I'll probably wake up fresh as a daisy.
          The movie tonight was "A Song to Remember" with Paul Muni and Merle Oberon and is a story of the short but productive life (musically speaking) of Frederick Chopin.  You must see it if you haven't already.
          Excuse me for a minute.  Somebody fell on his face and I've got to go.
          Well, all is well that ends well.  The chief engineer fell down a ladder in the engine room and hit his jaw.  However X-rays show no break so outside of a sore face for a couple of days he'll be OK.
          Now your letter. The 8th and 10th are about Mary and Willie and I've said my piece about them.  I do hope she either quits taking poison and then changing her mind or takes something quick acting and gets it over with.  Callous aren't I?  Yet I don't know why they bring all their troubles to you. I don't like it.  I see you are teaching again. Well after a week's layoff you're probably glad to be called again and the color of the money looks good too, I'll bet.
          I owe the lodge a letter. Joe Orenstein wrote me and I'll answer through him.  On second thought I'll write him and the lodge as well.  Last night I dropped a line to Marty and Ruby but I bet I don't hear from them for a long time.
          Glad to hear you are active as program chairman for the Auxiliary.  I am looking forward to the clippings you say are coming.
          I liked the poetry of Sara Teasdale. More please!  Don't send any funny papers somehow I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.
          Glad to hear you're getting all dolled up.  It'll give you a lift and believe me I can tell just how you feel by just reading your letters.
          So darling, no more for tonight.  If I was home now we would both have a "nite nite snack" after the movie.  I feel like it.  Then to bed, listening to the radio---?
          Good night Sweetheart until tomorrow.
Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment