Plumbing Job Complete

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 17 March 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Although I worked all morning it wasn't until afternoon before the plumbing job in my office was complete.  However except for the deck being all cluttered up and not having any water in my unit, I got along OK.
          After lunch I finished a mystery story I was reading and censored some mail.  Just about the time I finished Dr. Travis (I've mentioned him before) stopped by.  He was aboard for business. We made a date for a few beers at the island tomorrow.  We were comparing notes and discovered that we both reported for active duty on the same date and shipped out a week apart.  He is married, has three kiddies and is a swell guy.
          After he left I went down, saw a patient for a minute and then visited the barber.  After that I showered and dressed for dinner.  I bet if you look over my letter, my daily routine doesn't vary much and I probably say much the same thing every day.
          Tonight's movie is "Nice Girl" with Deanna Durbin and I think it's rated as good.  It doesn't really matter; I never miss any of them anyway.
          No mail today Honey so there is very little more for me to talk about.  Do you remember the days when all we needed to do was to dial the phone if we had something to talk about and weren't together?  I can't wait much longer to see that a reality again.  I can't, but I guess I'll have to for a while yet.
          So Darling, once more I'm left with nothing to say.  So I'll repeat myself and say I love you Sweet and miss all my three girls tremendously.
          Goodnight Darling until tomorrow
Yours alone,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment