Muster Showed One Man Missing

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 14 March 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Today began like any other day.  I had my morning appointments and it was past 11:00 AM before I was finished.  Then I went up to my room hoping to find some mail but no such luck.  So instead I read from a magazine until time for lunch.
          After lunch I was informed that I was to take charge of today's liberty party, consisting of some seventy odd men.  I got them and the beer in the boat and away we went.  When we got ashore we found a shady spot and I divided up the beer so that each man got six cans.  Knowing that they wouldn't go away (as long as the beer lasted) I went over to the club and had a couple myself.  Meandered back to make sure that everything was under control and then returned to the club and joined three of the ship's officers for a few more beers.
          The afternoon went by rapidly and before I knew it was time to round up the men and return to the ship.  The muster showed one man missing and though we looked for him we couldn't find him.  It is perfectly safe there so we left him.  He's probably sleeping it off and the shore patrol will bring him in when they police the area at 6:00 PM.
          I showered and dressed for dinner.  After eating, enjoyed the cool breeze but no sunset tonight--too many clouds.  Now here I am.
          The movie tonight is "Claudia" Do you remember when we went to see it on the stage and how much we laughed and enjoyed it?  I'll be thinking of you every moment that the movie is on and wishing you were beside me.
          There was no mail for me this afternoon either so no more gossip.  Goodnight darling, I'll see you in my dreams.  Love and kisses to you and our two sweet girls.
Yours alone,
Gil





Liberty Party

No comments:

Post a Comment