Purchased Several Hundred Gallons of Ice Cream

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 22 March 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,   
          Just a lot of loafing today.  I took care of a couple emergencies this morning and then secured so that my office could be painted.  I spent the rest of the morning on some professional reading.
          After lunch I went over to another ship to visit with the dental officer there. I also picked up some information about reports that are supposed to be sent to the Bureau but of which no one seemed to know much about.  I'll have several busy days getting them out.
          I got back at 3:30, had a coke and got comfortable in my room.  Censored some mail and then studied the reports that I need to make.  Soon it was 5:15 and time to shower and change for dinner.
          We had steak tonight.  Of course, soup and fruit salad to begin with,and for dessert two big scoops of ice cream.  We were able to purchase several hundred gallons of ice cream and keep it in our freeze box.  Now we can have ice cream everyday as long as the supply lasts.
          After dinner we enjoyed the usual cool ocean breeze and brilliant colored sunset.  Now here I am.
          No mail today but the six letters from you yesterday should sustain me for another day anyway.
          The movie tonight is "Music for Millions" and star Margaret O'Brien, Iturbi, Durante, Marsha Hunt and others.  It is rated as excellent so I'll go (as usual).
          Sweet, there is nothing new to talk about.  Do you remember when (years ago) I'd come home and tell you that you had another "surprise" coming because I landed another large case?  Soon they were coming so frequently we quit.  Well after the war we we'll reinstitute that routine. OK?
          Good night Honey, until tomorrow.
Loving you always,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment