My Office Being Painted

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 23 March 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello honey, here I am again.  Today was another day of loafing because of the painting of my office.  I did get considerable done in the preparation of those reports I mentioned yesterday.  I had to completely inventory equipment and supplies and indicate their value and condition.  I also have to estimate supplies needed for the coming year and make recommendations to improve dental treatment in the area.
          I had planned on going ashore after lunch, but it was overcast and raining on and off.  So I decided to stay aboard.  Censored some mail and began another book "Wild Geese Calling."  We saw the movie but so far, the book so far is totally different (as far as I can remember).  At 5:15 I showered and dressed for dinner. After eating we stood around and just talked until a few minutes ago.
          The movie tonight is Donald Duck in "The Three Caballeros" and is supposed to be excellent.  Last night's movie was enjoyable too but we had a real cloudburst and even with my raincoat on I was soaked to the skin.
          No mail again today, but that is the way it goes.  Good service for awhile and then for no apparent reason the delivery slows to a snail's pace.  Maybe tomorrow will be different.
          There is nothing new to talk about.  Do you remember when every day we always had plenty to talk about and plan?  Well maybe sooner than we think we'll be able to do it again (I hope).
          I haven't told you I love you lately so here goes, "I love you" darling and if possible more and more every day.
          Goodnight, I'll see you in my dreams.
Yours alone,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment