Toothaches Have No Respect for Weather

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 29 March 1945, 7:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          It just poured all night and when I awoke this morning things looked black and stormy.  It has been raining steadily all day.  After dinner the wind died down some.
          However toothaches and such have no respect for the weather.  I was kept quite busy all morning.
          At 11:30 I went up to my room and found some mail, no letters however.  There was a package containing a bunch of Sunday newspaper supplements and 2-1/2 pairs of earrings.  The package was so beat up that one of the earrings must have fallen out.  I received a second bill for my dental society dues.  Did you pay it?  You probably did because this letter was very long in coming.  Also there was a package of thirty-two paper bound volumes for the library.
          After lunch I saw three more patients.  Then returned to my room and finished "Wild Geese Calling."  I've selected several books from those we just received for my reading in the next few days.
          Nothing new or different today.  Just another day out on the Pacific too far away from the one I love.
          Well Sweetheart, I'm all through now so I'll say goodnight.  Until tomorrow with loving thoughts and passionate desires I am still
Yours alone,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment