Rained Like "H"

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 18 March 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Here I am again, a little high but still here.  Today was just an ordinary day.  Began work at 8:30 AM (today being Sunday) and except for a few interruptions, secured at 11:45 AM.
          Ate lunch and after that decided to go ashore where--so I did.  It was a nice day and we drank beer and drank beer until--I had to go but it rained like "H" so I had to wait or go out and get wet.  I don't know what I was afraid of, I was all wet anyhow.  But I did wait, not more than five minutes when the rain stopped and I started to (?).
          We got back at 5:00 PM and after showering and changing, I ate a hearty meal and now here I am.
          The movie tonight is an oldie and not very good.  Paul Lucas in it. I don't know the title but I'll tell you more about it tomorrow.
          Well Sweet, I hope you won't be disgusted with me tonight but there isn't another thing I can say.  I didn't receive any mail today again, so tomorrow I'll hit the jackpot, at least I hope so.
          Goodnight darling, I love you and wish we were together.  Love and Kisses to you and my two itsy bitsies.
Your loving husband,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment