Didn't Make Lieutenant

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 7 April 1945, 6:50 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Honey, here I am though a wee bit tight.  I had my usual busy morning. Because Dr. Law and the chief engineer were both celebrating birthdays, I decided to help a worthy cause along and help with the celebration.
          We left the ship at 2:00 PM and our boat came back for us at 5:15 PM.  So you see we had about three hours and made the most of it.  By the time we got back it was too late to shower and change before chow so I'll take care of the bath before retiring.  I have a mess of mail to censor but I'll take care of that later as well.
          There was no mail today so I'm practically barren of stuff to write about.  The movie tonight is a good one and is entitled "The Lady Vanishes."  It is an Alfred Hitchcock production so the story should have plenty of suspense.
          The new ALNAV came out and by the look of things I may not make Lieutenant until June 1st, unless the next one covers a thirty day period which it probably won't.  Oh well, if I can wait sixteen months I can wait seventeen and then again maybe it will catch me May 1st as I had expected. Keep your fingers crossed and we'll see later.
          No more for now Sweet, so I'll sign off.  Goodnight and love and kisses for my three girls.
Yours as always,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment