Too Damn Hot

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 3 April 1945, 7:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          This has been one busy day.  In addition to all the work I had, it has been plenty hot so I did plenty of sweating today.
          This afternoon at three o'clock when I finally cleaned up my last patient, I went to work on my monthly mess statement but after an hour's work I quit because it was too damn hot down here.
          So--instead I went up on the poop deck and got forty-five minutes of sunshine.  Then I returned to my room, showered, censored some mail and dressed for dinner.
          After dinner we sat around on deck enjoying the cool evening breeze and the sunset.  Now here I am.
          The mail brought me three letters today.  One from you, one from Dr. Ivie (a nice friendly one) and the last was an official letter relative to new reports that I have to send in.
          Your letter was written on the 15th and I've already received one written on the 22nd so there isn't much to remark about. I see you are teaching though you hadn't done that for several weeks.  Guess you're glad to get back for a spell.
          "Lost Island" sounds like an interesting book.  I would enjoy reading it.  Send it along.
          The movie tonight is "Irish Eyes Are Smiling" with Monty Woolley and it is rated 4.0.  Guess I'll go, as if I ever stayed away.
          I'm planning on answering Herman's letter next because I don't want to get behind.
          So much for now.  Goodnight sweetheart, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment