Still Waiting for Xmas Packages in April

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 24 April 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Here I am again Sweet and not quite as tired as I was last night.  I was quite busy this morning and part of the afternoon as well.  However I secured at 3:00 PM and went up on the poop deck for an hour of sun.  Then I went to the barber for a hair cut and returned to my quarters at 4:30.  Undressed, showered and censored mail until 5:15 when I got dressed and went out on deck.  After dinner three of us went back on the poop deck to enjoy the cool evening breeze and enjoy the sunset.  Now here I am.
          No mail again today.  Lots of packages have come aboard lately so I've completely given up on the two Xmas packages that I never received.
          The movie tonight should be very good.  It is "The Suspect" with Charles Laughton.  Las night's Abbott and Costello feature was lousy so I'll enjoy a good picture for a change.
          Nothing new or different out this way.  However, the more I talk with officers from other ships (combatant) the more I realize how fortunate I am.  The Iwo Jima and the present Okinawa campaigns were plenty tough and here I am in comparative safety with all the comforts of home except for my wife, kids and home being thousands of miles away.  That doesn't make sense but you know what I mean.  Anyway, some men really are going through hell.
          And so dear another of our visits must come to an end.  Until tomorrow and will be seeing you in my dreams.  In the meantime, goodnight.
Love,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment