Types

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday, 11 April 1945, 7:15 PM
My Dearest,
          How are you today Sweet?  I'm just the same.  Fat, sassy, and working all the time.  Had my usual busy morning but was through by 11:15.  Then I received nine letters, seven from you, one from Marty and one from your mother.  It was lunch time before I was through reading them.
          Gee the maps are swell.  When you send me some more art corners I'll be able to place them in my album.
          This afternoon was spent on my paper work and it was 4:30 before I was through.  I still have several afternoons of book work before my records and reports will be all up to date.
          Now back to my mail.  So many questions.  Alexander types my courses for me.  He is my corpsman.  No don't send the snaps back.  I don't have the negatives so I wouldn't want to lose them.  Besides I'll always be able to fill in the names for you at a later date.
          It's funny but you and I are both thinking the same about my office down to the shells, fish and furnishings.  I have quite an assortment of shells and I'm adding to my collection all the time.
          Thanks for telling me all about Easter.  I enjoyed every word of it though it did make me feel a little homesick to think of what I'm missing.  Sounds like a lot of changes in Santa Monica.  Suppose they're all making money too fast to spend it.
          Leon wrote and told me about the move to Treasure Isle.  I must answer in a day or two.
          Sounds like you're going through a pile of dough.  Take it easy gal.  The fur coat can wait until fall now that winter is over.  $700 worth of fixing on the house sounds like a hell of a lot of dough.  However as usual I'll close by saying use your own judgment.
          Didn't we see the Dunham Dancers once? They sure sound familiar.
          No, the Dental Corps is not separate from the Medical Corps.  It's just that we do our own administrative work rather than have the Medical Corps handle it.  Just a lot of extra work with no more independence than before.
          I didn't get any clipping about the new dental clinic.  Dr. Webster applied to the Navy when I did, but didn't pass physically.  He is a pretty nice guy and used to be a school dentist.
          The car is certainly costing now, but then again you haven't had to spend much on it since I shipped out.
          Sorry the Arrowhead deal fell through.  Maybe you'll have a much pleasanter holiday in the late summer or early fall.  Keep your fingers crossed.
          There is no use my talking to the doctor here.  See Lewis if you're not feeling well.  However you did consult a doctor at the hospital in Diego didn't you? However if anything is bothering you you'd be better off getting some professional advice.  Go ahead and see him.  You don't need my permission.
          This morning I began to shave and my shaver broke.  Well I got some screw drivers, took the damn thing apart, soldered a broken spring and it's as good as new.  I could use a new head for my Schick.  Get one from Marty and send it on.
          The movie tonight is Rosalind Russell in "Roughly Speaking" and is rated very good.
          I must dash now as it's almost that time.  Good night Honey, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love and kisses,
Gil


Lots of snaps ("maps")--Eleanor,Eleanor and Deb,and Dave 









No comments:

Post a Comment