Stripped to My Skivvies

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 30 April 1945, 7:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Darling, here he is again, ever faithful, ever true. That's me.  Another easy day today so I had some time to work on the wardroom treasurer's books.  Maybe this month I'll balance out without any trouble.
          Have I mentioned that out here the weather is getting hotter all the time?  Well it has and today was the hottest of them all. Thank God I have a cool room.  That's where I go every time I have some free moments.  I strip down to my skivvies (shorts), turn the fan on me and read.  We've gotten so many magazines of late that it'll be a month before I get them all read.  We got another shipment of books and there are several I intend to read.  I really don't have to worry about spare time.  I fill up every minute I can find without any trouble.
          There was no mail at all today but who am I to complain.  Lucky me with the truest, most faithful correspondent any Navy man ever had.
          We saw "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" last night and frankly I was disappointed.  Yes it was a good movie.  The acting was excellent but somehow it didn't come up to the book.  Tonight we have a repeat, "Laura" with Gene Tierney.
          So darling another month comes to an end.  I do hope there won't be many more before we are together again.
          In the meantime Sweet keep that smile on your face and hope in your heart and who knows how soon I'll have my arms around you again.  Goodnight.
Love,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment