Impacted Molars

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 22 April 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Today was Sunday; my day of rest.  So I didn't go to work until 9:00 AM but from then on I worked.  In addition to a full morning I had three emergency patients. Two of them were impacted molars. I really earned my pay today.
          After lunch I took a liberty party ashore.  We returned to the ship at 4:30 and wow when I came into my room there were seven letters from you, the package with the canned fish and some literature from the Bureau of Medicine.
          So I showered and relaxed in my bunk with my mail.  The letters were postmarked 11, 12, and 13 and so here goes.
          Be sure anything you send is well wrapped.  The package I got today was pretty well beat up.  Both of my watches are fixed now. The little Westclox is in my room.  No it doesn't tick at all loudly.
          I saw both "Practically Yours" and the "Jade Mark." Don't worry about me being short.  If the May ALNAV doesn't catch me the June one will. I'll have over $400 on the books May 1.
          I'm experimenting on the shell of a coconut.  I think I'll have something pretty to send home one of these days.
          The war news does continue to sound good.  Maybe this whole mess will be over soon.
          You have Ambie's address correct.  I'm sure he'll answer you.
          Did you enjoy "Atlantic City?"  I didn't.
          You plan the new home.  I have a hunch we'll have one a lot sooner than either of us dreams.
          It was April 13 when we got the news of Roosevelt's passing.  Don't worry dear, he was a great man but I'm sure that his untimely death will not slow the coming victory.  We must have faith that there are other men who can and will lead us capably.
          I've written to my mother twice in the past month.  She'll probably get the letters soon, if she hasn't already.
          The movie tonight is "I Love a Mystery" with a bunch of unknowns and is rated only fair.  I'll take a look-see anyway.
          No more for now darling so adios my Sweet until tomorrow.
Loving you always,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment