Extra 1/2 Stripe

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 2 April 1945, 7:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Another busy day today.  I worked all morning and afternoon and wasn't through until 3:00 PM.  I went to my room and censored some mail.  The sun was out in all its glory so I spent from four till five on the poop deck improving on my tan.  Then I returned to my room, showered, and dressed for dinner.  After chow we went back up on the poop deck and just relaxed and enjoyed the cooling evening breeze.  Now here I am.
          Beginning with the May allotment, the check will go to the Santa Monica Bank of America so be sure and notify them to accept same and credit it to our account.  I've increased the amount to $225 a month because I'm expecting the May ALNAV to give me that extra 1/2 stripe you've been looking for.
          I'm enclosing a money order for $100.  Buy Linda a $100 bond and use the difference to buy her something more material for her birthday from her daddy.
          The mail today brought three letters from you, one from Herman Stein and one from your mother.  Honey, I don't know what to say about the house except that if it needs paint and repairs why have it done.  Of course I agree.
          I hope you won't get the "G's" down on you for the dress deal.  You know how they like Ruth and may not like your giving her the dress.  Anyway I'm too far away to know and say what to do.  Use your judgment.
          You're sure making a great to do about Linda's eyes. With all the fuss you're making it's no wonder she's all a twitter about wearing glasses.  Take it easy dear and don't cross any bridges till you have to.  Although Dr. Kinney is a good man, I wish you could have taken her to a Navy outpatient clinic. 
          Your letter written 5:00 PM on the 22nd is not complete.  The last paragraph says and "now to your letter. Didn't you see Claudia, etc" and nothing more.  No signature or anything.  Guess you're all excited and busy getting ready for the Mah Jong game.  I also gather that you've been teaching, but there are several letters still to come to fill in the blanks.
          The movie tonight is a stinker entitled "Tahitian Nights" with I don't know who but I guess I'll go anyway.
          So much for today darling.  It is almost time to go to the movies and I'm all run out of stuff and such so--
          Goodnight, I'll see you in my dreams.  Love and kisses to you and our sweet girls.
Yours always,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment