Turkey Dinner Topped Off With Ice Cream

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, FPO San Francisco
Sunday 8 April 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Today being Sunday I had planned to take it easy.  However others had different ideas about it and I had the usual busy morning. 
          This afternoon, after getting my mess statement and some recreation gear requisitions squared away, I took it easy.  Messed around polishing some shells and then read for a while.  At 5:15 I showered and dressed for dinner.
          We had a good dinner of turkey with all the trimmings and topped it off with ice cream.  Then we went out on deck and enjoyed the cool breeze (for a change) and the usual unusual sunset. 
          The mail today brought two letters from you and one from my mother.  Sounds like the B'nai B'rith had a nice meeting and I'm glad you enjoyed it.  So Edith and Bill are engaged?  Well what do you know? Was it expected or not?
          Babs seems to have had quite a siege of illness.  I do hope the kid has completely recovered by now.
          Did you enjoy your trip to Arrowhead?  What luck?
          The war news does sound good and I believe that the Japs will quit by June of next year. I expect to be home long before that and plan to celebrate the final peace with my sweet wife and kids.
          Did you and the kids enjoy the Temple Seders?  I suppose I'll get all the answers to my question in due time.
          There will be no "if and when" about babies.  We've got our family and now we'll have fun. OK? OK?
          Tonight we have a double feature movie.  First we have "Double Exposure," a mystery and "Let's Go Steady," a musical.  They are rated as good so I'm not expecting too much.
          Darling, will you send me a package of art corners for mounting the snaps in my album.  I started with red ones so please get that color if possible.
          There is nothing more for now. So--- good night Honey.  I love you.  I do mean you.  See you tomorrow.
Yours alone
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment