Civilian First Class

Lieut.  Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 9 July 1945, 6:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Honey, here I am again.  For a change today, I was busier than ever.  I worked form 8:15 till 11:30 and then went to lunch.  After chow I had a one and one-thirty appointment and secured at 2:00 PM.
          I got word that a ship was leaving for the states and had some recreational gear to dispose of.  I took a boat over there and got about $200 worth of equipment for nothing.  I'll never know why they gave me the stuff and didn't want any money. But I didn't ask questions.  We are only allowed $200 a year by the Navy and have to make up the difference from ship store profits.  So the skipper and everyone else concerned are tickled pink to get the stuff.  We got six tennis racquets, baseball gloves mitts, and bases, checkers and boards, etc.  Not bad, eh.
          I got all the stuff back aboard and stowed by 5:00 PM.  Then I had my hair cut, showered and dressed for dinner.
          This month's ALNAV is out and from the way it reads the promotion period will be extended to eighteen months beginning next month.  They aren't stopping promotions but they are dragging it out so that they might just as well.  I know I'll never make Lieutenant Commander and don't want to.  Civilian first class is okay with me.
          I got three letters today postmarked July 2 and that isn't bad.  Don't you worry about when I get home.  No one will horn in on our honeymoon, least of all your sister Ruth.           I do hope Norma gets over her indisposition soon because I know how upsetting her being sick can be.  Did you take her to the doctor's as I suggested?
          Dick's carrying on is disgusting.  It is no wonder he has been sick so much and he'll be lucky if he doesn't run into any more trouble.
          I enjoyed those pictures you sent especially those of the kids.  Keep on trying. Maybe soon I'll get a snap of the Eleanor I used to know with a real smile on her face.
          Our movie tonight is "The Clock" with Judy Garland.  I hope it's good.
          I'm writing letters to both mothers and Ruth so I've got enough to do for tonight.  Goodnight, my Sweet, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

Kids in Cowgirl Outfits






No comments:

Post a Comment