Spirits


Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 8 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, I hope you are still feeling well and keeping real busy.  Simmie had seen last night's movie and didn't wish to see it again. But he insisted I go while he took a nap.  After the movie we went up to the wardroom, had cokes, and sat and talked until 11:00 PM and then turned in.
          This morning I ate a regular breakfast to keep Simmie company, and besides, I always had breakfast at home on Sunday.  Then I saw a few patients while Simmie read some magazines.  Then mail came. I got an Esquire, two letters from you, one from your mother and one from Mary Regan.  We read and loafed around until lunch time. After eating I saw Simmie off on the ferry to the beach.
          Now to your mail.  I'm worried about Norma's bilious attacks. Does she take after her mother?  I wish you'd take her over to Sieger's office and have him check her over.
          You are entirely too sensitive.  The Steins were seldom guests at our home.  Their interests and ours were always different.  They are still as good friends as we have in Santa Monica.
          I don't know why you wish to make yourself miserable losing weight.  You look OK to me in those snaps you sent. You could stand a smile on your face, but I'll attend to that later, personally.
          Trying to have a boy long distance is impossible anyway so I won't discuss it now.  You'll have to wait until I come home.
          We have a good movie (I hope) tonight.  It is "Colonel Blimp" and is 18 reels.  Hope it doesn't drag.
          So ends another week.  One week less for us to be apart.  Sweetheart I sure do miss you and hope we'll be together again soon.
          No more for now so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Darling.  Try to be in good spirits.
I love you as always
Gil
           






No comments:

Post a Comment