Deadly Routine

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 17 July 1945, 7:15 PM
My Dearest,
          What a hot day this has been.  I worked all morning and then saw three patients after lunch.  I had practically decided to go ashore for a few beers but when I came up on deck it was so blasted hot that I couldn't see going ashore at all.
          Instead I visited with the skipper up in his cabin and found a shady spot with a little breeze on the bridge.  After awhile I wandered down to the wardroom where I chewed the fat with several others.  My room was too hot so I went down to my office, turned the fan on the operating chair.  I sat there and read comic books until 5:15 when I showered and dressed for dinner.
          After chow we had the regular cribbage game. We finished a little earlier tonight hence I'm writing before the movie.
          The picture tonight should be good if it is anything like the book.  "Saratoga Trunk" is the movie.
          All in all today was the usual exciting (?) day.  This routine is deadly.  I can see why men crack up out here.  Keeping busy is the best bet and I manage fairly well.
          For the whole day on Sunday, I've been promised a picket boat for my own use.  The boat is as large as the Spivak's boat and has two engines instead of one.  I'm planning to run over to see Simmie and then over to look around a club about fifteen miles away. This boat is smooth riding and I hope Simmie comes along.  Of course this all depends on the weather and certain priorities but I've gotten a similar boat before without trouble and should be able to do so again.
          I got a letter from you and one from my mother, both dated July 7.  Others have gotten mail through the 10th and from the East coast.  So I bet I'll get a stack tomorrow.
          I'm glad Dave made the grade.  As I explained in a previous letter, I just hope that this won't keep him in after the war. Anyway the training is very rugged and he may wash out at any time prior to the six month deadline.
          No more for now Sweet so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Honey.   Remember that even though the days seem to drag, every day brings us closer together.  See you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil









No comments:

Post a Comment