Happy Anniversary

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 26 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello darling, this is station G-I-L on the air bringing you news and views in far off lands.
          Today has been a scorcher and the weather man predicts no relief in sight.  Light showers followed by more sunshine and high humidity will add to the discomfort of local inhabitants.
          On the war front no activity to report but the local dental officer is just as busy as ever.
          Although a day late the baker aboard the Ocelot surprised the dental officer with a decorated cake saying "Happy Anniversary Dr. and Mrs. Steingart."  The cake was served with ice cream at dinner in the ship's wardroom.
          That is thirty for tonight, Station G-I-L signing off.  Goodnight.
          Well dear, that is the news for today.  I was really surprised when the cake was brought to me. I took a picture of it.  As soon as the roll is shot and developed I'll send it on to you.
          The Navy announced its point system for separation from the service but actually all they're doing is retiring overage men.  Another system will undoubtedly be announced later on.
          I just messed around all afternoon, showered and censored mail before dinner and after eating played cribbage.
          Last night about fifteen officers went ashore and though I looked for Simmie at the Club I didn't find him.  Anyway we all got pretty tight and returned safely to the ship about midnight.
          Tonight's movie is "Twice Blessed" but I don't know a thing about it.  No more for now so I'll say good night Sweet. I love you.
Yours forever
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment