Trading With Natives

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 2 July 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Darling are you feeling better today?  I got five letters today, one each from our mothers and the others from you.  I got a little more dope on what happened to you vacation plans but the letter giving me the details is still on its way.  Please don't let this change upset you too much.  I hope you'll be able to work out some other trip.  A visit with Doris might be nice but what about the kids?  Who'll take care of them while you're away?
          I'm glad you sent on the cosmetics.  I should be able to do some real sharp trading with the natives when I get the stuff.
          I hope you had a nice weekend and that you enjoyed your trip and visit with Deb and Dave.  In another month or so you'll be an aunt again.  What do Deb and Dave want?  A boy or a girl?  Or will they will take what they get and be satisfied?
          Nothing new out here.  I worked on patients all morning and part of the afternoon.  The rest of the time I spent on the wardroom books, censoring mail and a little more reading of "Strange Woman."  At 5:15 I showered and dressed for dinner.
          It has been raining since 4:00 PM and right now it is really pouring.  I hope it lets up for the movies.  We have "Billie Rose's Diamond Horseshoe."
          I finally got a USO show for our ship.  It is tomorrow night.  It's an hour in a fast boat to pick the troupe up.  Tomorrow, I'll leave to get them at 3:00 PM.   We'll get back in time for chow and after eating we'll have the show and then movies as usual.
          That is thirty for tonight my sweet.  So goodnight I'll see you in my dreams.
Loving you always,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment