Mazel Tov!

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 24 July 1945, 10:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor
          Hello Honey how is everything today?  Ever since the movies last night it has been raining, so everything is cool and comfy.
          Today was just another routine day with work all morning and part of the afternoon as well.
          In the late afternoon I visited around for awhile and at five o'clock I showered and dressed. After dinner we played cribbage.
          The movie tonight was rather poor. It was "Son of Lassie."  Then I went up to the wardroom, ate a sandwich and read the ship's daily news bulletin.  Now here I am.
          Mazel tov!  Today's mail brought me two letters containing the news about our new nephew.  It must be a Sharlip tradition rushing things a wee bit.  Bet everyone is glad it's over and that it's a boy.  I'll still take our two girls and love them.
          One of your letters was of the 14th and it is a rehash of later letters received.  All about Estelle Sieger--nuff said.  Hetchky, hetchky, that is her all right.
          Your other letter was postmarked 17th and contained the news of the new son and heir of the David Gindoffs.
          Sorry Linda lost her bracelet.  Shall I make her another or is it just a waste of time and energy?
          No I haven't heard from Earnest or Davis in a long time.  At that they've done better by me than some of my so called friends.
          I have no reason to think I'll get back before eighteen months. Of all the dental officers who have gone back from out here, not one stayed out that long.  They all went back in twelve to sixteen months after leaving the states.  Why not me?  Next month I'll send my request for Long Beach in and then we'll see.
          No more for now Sweet, so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Darling, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love
Gil
         





No comments:

Post a Comment