I Sweat It Out

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 30 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Another hot day with no rain in sight.  Sweat has been just rolling off me all day long. I'll be surprised if I don't get this paper wet before I'm through. 
          I worked all morning and part of this afternoon.  Then I wrote a letter to Deb.  At about 4:00 PM, I went to my room, undressed and showered.  I censored some mail and finished "Captain from Castile."  After dinner we played cribbage and now here I am.
          Again today, there was no mail.  I was really disappointed.  I guess I'll hit the jackpot tomorrow.
          Last night's movie, "Valley of Decision," was good but didn't measure up to the book.  As a matter of fact I found it rather slow in places.  Tonight we have an oldie in Technicolor, "Northwest Mounted Police" with Gary Cooper and Paulette Goddard.
          There are lots of rumors floating around about an early Jap surrender but all my early optimism has changed and I don't look for an end to this mess until the summer of 1946.
          In the meantime I sweat it out until my relief and orders get here.  Then I'll hurry home to the one I love.
          Meanwhile Sweet I'll just say goodnight and I'll be with you again tomorrow.
Devotedly,
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment