Japan Peace Feelers

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 27 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, this is me broadcasting again.  News remains the same as yesterday except that promised showers did not materialize
          Today was the usual work day.  In the afternoon we held field day so I had time to read.  As hot as it's been my room has been cool. It was very pleasant stripping down to my skivvies and relaxing in my bunk.  I'm reading "Leave Her to Heaven," by Ben Ames Williams.  I do recommend it to you.
          At 5:15 I showered and dressed for dinner.  Then we had our usual cribbage game.  Now here I am.
          I am pessimistic about the end of the war.  In spite of my attitude, Japan has put out some peace feelers.  I pray that I was wrong.  However they'll get no easier peace than Germany did.  Lord alone knows if they'll quit under those terms at present.
          The only mail today was a letter from Ivie.  He still sounds very unhappy.  Aren't we all?  But crying about it doesn't help.  One just must be cheerful and make the best of an unpleasant situation.     
          Our movie tonight is "Horn Blows at Midnight," with Jack Benny.  I hope it is better than his past efforts at humor.
          No more now Darling so I'll say goodnight.  How about a visit in my dreams?  I haven't seen you in a long time.  I love you.
Always yours,
Gil







No comments:

Post a Comment