Heat Saps


Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 20 July 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello my Sweet, here I am again.  I had my usual busy morning but this afternoon being field day I had no appointments and had all the time to myself.
          Several officers were going over to the beach on business so I tagged along.  Just as we hit the beach it began to blow and rain like I've never seen before.  We gathered at the club and drank beer until the squall abated and then we all went our own ways.  I went out on the highway and thumbed a ride to the hospital where Simmie is stationed and visited with him for an hour.  Then I returned to the club to meet the others.  I had time for two more beers before we were all present.  We shoved off but didn't quite make the first sitting of the wardroom and had to wait until 6:30 to eat.  That gave me plenty of time to shower and clean up before chow and now here I am.
          I got six letters today.  Three were from you, my darling. There was one each from Ethyl, Leon and Libby.  Now here goes.
          I do hope all you Lake Arrowhead plans come off smoothly now.  Another disappointment would be too much.
          I really feel okay and though my letters are short you shouldn't interpret that to mean I'm low and discouraged.  Of course there is nothing to cheer about.  I really do miss you and the kids.  Yet I am safe and have as many comforts as one could expect and I am doing the work I like.  However the heat is terrific and it does sap a fellow's enthusiasm and pep.
          I'm really hoping and planning to be with you on your birthday.  Next month I'll send in my request for my next assignment.  We'll just have to be patient, wait, and see.
          From the amount of time you've spent cleaning, the house sure must have been a mess when the painters and floor men were finished.  I hope you didn't overdo.  You know that another day more or less wouldn't make any difference.
          Tonight's movie is "China Sky" with Randolph Scott and is supposed to be good.
          I just had my next correspondence course lesson typed up and after I've edited it, I'll send it off.
          That is all the dope for tonight honey so I'll sign off.  Goodnight Sweetheart and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil









No comments:

Post a Comment