At Sea--No Mail--No Movies

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 25 May 1945, 9:00 PM
At Sea
Dearest Eleanor,
          This has been a typical peaceful day on the blue Pacific.  Though it is quite warm there is a gentle breeze blowing and if one can find a shady spot it is quite comfortable.  I still find my room the best spot to "crap out."
          I worked all morning just as usual.  The gentle roll of the ship didn't bother me at all.  I was able to work as fast as when we were in port.
          I spent this afternoon reading and loafing.  I finished "Pastoral" and think you'd enjoy reading it. It is very light but enjoyable.
          After sunset tonight, a bunch of us sat up on the forecastle and talked until just a few moments ago.  Then I went up to the wardroom, had an orange and a bowl of cold fresh frozen peaches. Yum, yum where they delicious.  Now here I am.
          Being at sea there wasn't any mail nor will there be any movies tonight.  So there isn't much more to say.
          Do you remember the moonlit ride we enjoyed up at Lake Arrowhead?  Well as I was sitting out on deck tonight with the bright full moon above I kept thinking about those happy carefree days.  Hope that we'll have more like them real soon.
          No more for now dear, so goodnight and pleasant dreams.
Loving you always,
Yours alone,
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment