Fillings, Extractions, Abscesses,Trench Mouth, Pyorrhea

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, FPO San Francisco
Saturday 5 May 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweetheart, how's about a kiss.  Gee thanks, I haven't had one in a long time and I'm really getting out of practice.
          Today was the usual busy day.  Before I was through I had placed nineteen fillings, did two extractions, lanced an abscess, treated a case of trench mouth and one of pyorrhea.
          The new ALNAV came out and promotions are in order for men through January 1, 1944.  As I reported January 17 I'll have to wait for next month's which should go through to Feb 1.
          The mail brought me a lone letter from Libby.  She tells me she got the negatives and was sending them to you.  By the way can you get any 35mm Kodachrome film?  I could get some prize shots if the film were available.  Ask Dave, maybe he can help you locate some.
          Last night was the coolest night we've had in weeks.  I woke during the night and had to pull up the sheet.  However the rain came and went and it's been as hot as ever today.
          We have another repeat movie tonight, "To Have and To Have Not." but I'd rather see a good one again as some of the tripe we've been getting.  Last night's "Night Club Girl" was another stinker.  I suppose seeing movies nightly, we should expect good and bad ones alike.
          No new scuttlebutt dear.  Still the same old stuff but nothing to go on as to when I'll return.  I know it is hard on you but believe me, though I haven't complained and won't now, this is no picnic out here either.  Of course I'm safe but seeing the same faces of several hundred men daily and living in the confines of an area under 500 feet long and 40 feet wide does have its drawbacks.  It is really surprising how little friction exists and how well we all get along with one another.
          Germany is practically out now.  One minute we hear over the radio of an unconditional surrender and next we hear of more fighting going on someplace else.  Anyway a lot more of our power will be moving to the Pacific Theater and maybe Japan will see the light and surrender before her country is also reduced to rubble.  It's very possible, even probable that the whole thing may blow up unexpectedly.
          No more for now Darling.  Now you have put up with me being away for nine months and a week.  I should be coming home within the next few months.  Good night Sweet and pleasant dreams.
Devotedly
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment