Fresh Frozen Food After Months of Canned

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 10 May 1945, 8:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, here I am again.  Had a nice day for a change.  Saw several patients this morning and then had my mess statement audited.
          After lunch I had several appointments and spent an hour working on a gadget I'm making.  Then I took a magazine and got forty-five minutes of sun on the poop deck. Although it was late afternoon the sun was plenty hot.
          Then I returned to my room, censored some mail, showered and dressed for dinner.  After chow three of us joined the captain for another game of cribbage.  Now here I am.
          All the mail brought today was the U.S. News Navy Report, the Service Edition of the Outlook and American Dental Association Bulletin and the postcard you sent from Los Angeles when you were with Yetta.
          Now that the European war is over even bigger things should develop out this way and soon the whole thing will be over.  I'm really optimistic about Japan throwing in the sponge.
          For the time being there's nothing new out here.  It's still hot and sticky and rain is a welcome change.
          The last few days we had several treats in the way of fresh food.  We got hold of some fresh frozen peaches, apricots, peas, string beans and cauliflower.  Believe me, they sure tasted good after months of canned food.
          No more for now darling so I'll sign off.  Good night Dear, I'll see you in my dreams.
Loving you always,
Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment