Black Clouds

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 26 May 1945, 7:45 PM
At Sea
Dearest Eleanor,
          Another day at sea and as far as I'm concerned this is a real holiday.  I did work all morning.  As a matter of fact I placed sixteen fillings, but after lunch I had nothing to do but read, talk, and take it easy.  After dinner we went up on the fo'castle but didn't stay there long.  The pretty sunset was quickly obliterated by black rain clouds and soon it began to rain.  It is raining hard but there are tremendous flashes of lightening constantly illuminating the sky.
          There is little else to tell.  I had my usual breakfast of fruit and fruit juice.  It has been so hot that I even passed up the coffee.  For lunch we had pineapple and prune salad, roast chicken with fresh frozen creamed peas and mixed fruit pie for dessert.  For dinner we had fruit salad, soup, steak and ice cream with chocolate sauce and cookies.  No wonder I'm having trouble keeping my weight down.
          For lack of anything better to do I'm reading a Charlie Chan mystery.  It's too hot below decks in the afternoon to work on the novelties I'm making.  However things should be much more comfortable in port.
          How is my Sweet today?  Are you still irked at me because of my cold (?) letters?  If you could see what I wake up with every morning and take advantage of me (or it) you'd be warmer and so would I.  There will come a day!
          No more for tonight Honey so please be patient and understanding because I do love you and only you even if I don't repeat myself every day.
Loving you as always,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment