Over the Side

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 22 May 1945, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Honey, how is my one and only tonight?  Last night after the movie I showed the doctor the salami and though he could see nothing wrong with it he thought it would be safer not to eat is, so over the side it went.  Then this morning I happened to mention it to the butcher.  He said it was okay and that salami is a smoked meat and keeps indefinitely.  Now dear, can I prevail on your good nature to send me another one?   In order to protect the casing he suggested that you dip the whole thing in paraffin wax, wrap it in cheese cloth and dip it in wax again.  How about it? Do you think you can fill the order?  However if it's too much trouble don't bother.  I'll get by very nicely without.
          After last night's movie I spent some more time on my course.  It is now finished and ready for typing up.
          Today began as usual and I was busy all morning.  After lunch I censored some mail and read for awhile.  At 1:30 I saw another patient and then I let someone talk me into going ashore.  We got there at 3:00, had a few beers and returned to the ship at 5:15.  Then I showed, changed clothes, ate dinner, played cribbage and went to the movies.  The picture was a musical western with Roy Rogers, "The Lights of Old Santa Fe."  It wasn't too good but still it had more entertainment value than "None But The Lonely Heart.
          There was no mail today so I hope to get a few letters in the morning.  I've told you so many times that I'm just repeating myself now, but if you don't get any mail for a few days don't worry.  You can draw your own conclusions as to why.
          That's thirty for tonight.  Goodnight Sweet and I do love you and I mean YOU.
Yours forever,
Gil



USS Ocelot in Ulithi Lagoon. The salami went over the side.







No comments:

Post a Comment