Perfect "V"

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 23 May 1945, 9:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello Sweet, here I am once again.  Today has been a most uninteresting day.  I worked all morning at a nice easy pace.  Censored some mail after chow and then back to work.  I knocked off at 2:30 and paid a visit to the barber.  Then I took a book, went up on the fantail and took a sun bath.  Before I knew what had happened the afternoon was gone and it was time for dinner. After eating we stood out on deck, talked, and watched a most unusual sunset.  In addition to an array of vivid colors a perfect "V" was formed in the skies.  If I were superstitious I'd say it foretold a new great victory for us.  However unusual skies are usual here so I won't say a word.
           We had an amusing movie tonight.  It was "The Town Went Wild" with Jimmy Lydon, Fred Bartholomew and Ed E.Horton.  We also saw a couple of shorts.  We usually have them along with the feature but I skip writing about them.
          There was no mail so there is little more to tell.  I am reading "Pastoral" by Neville Shute.  Though I've only read a few pages I know I'm going to like it.
          I'm enclosing a list of Navy terms, many of which I use in my letters, probably to your mystification.  The Flag had a bunch of new officers report aboard. For a joke, one of the old timers passed this list out to them.  The terms are really part of our everyday vocabulary.  A wall is always a bulkhead and floor a deck.  In fact bed, ceiling, stairs, floor and other common words are actually becoming foreign to me.
          No more for now Honey. If you don't hear from me for a few days don't worry.  I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil











No comments:

Post a Comment