Shoved Off for The Island

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 11 May 1945, 9:50 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello my Darling, how's about a great big kiss.  OK then that's another one you owe me.  When I do get home, that thirty day leave will hardly be enough to collect all you owe me and pay back all I owe you.  Anyway it'll be fun trying.
          As usual there was plenty to do all morning.  This being field day, six of us shoved off for the island.  The tide was way out and ideal for hunting shells.  I found nine beauties.  That doesn't sound like much but I have quite a shell collection now.
          We returned at 5:15 in time to shower and change before dinner.  After dinner the same three of us joined the skipper for a game of cribbage.  We knocked off at 7:30 to go to the movies. We had "Fog Island" a murder story, but I don't recommend it to you.
          Following the movie I took the shells and removed the muscle from the inside.  You see, they are alive and stink to high heaven if they aren't cleaned out.  Now they're in formaldehyde and will stay there until tomorrow night.
          There was no mail this morning. But I was surprised to find a letter marked April 21 and an American Dental Association Journal in my office.  Nothing to comment on in your letter.  Everything has been covered already.
          You do ask where I want to go and what I want to do when I get back.  Well how does bed sound.  You guess what I want to do and I don't mean sleep.  I really can't think of anything else, but we'll have to come up for air sooner or later even if it's later.  Anything you suggest will be okay with me.  Yes, even back to bed.
          Let's get out of the bedroom now dear, it isn't doing either of us any good at the moment.  Last night and the night before I wrote seven letters besides yours and now I'm all caught up.  Bet I get a new batch tomorrow and I'll have more to write.  I'd complain if I didn't get mail, so I'd better keep quiet when I do.
          I'm mentioning this again because it is important.  Don't close the San Diego account until I give you the word.  It takes time to make a change and this month's check will still go to San Diego.
          No more for now Sweet so I'll sign off.  Keep everything on ice until I get back.  I'll warm things up for you.  Good night.
Your lover,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment