Blackout


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday, 13 January 1945, 7:05 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Today was a little different.  This morning we moved alongside another ship to take on additional personnel and supplies.  The ship, a large tender, has five dental officers aboard, three chairs and a prosthetic lab.  A dentist who I met last week at the Officers' Club showed me around. There isn't much more I can tell you.  Oh yes, one of our men broke a tooth on his bridge, so I bummed one from the tender and will fix our man up in the morning.

          Because of a blackout last night we didn't have any movies, but I'm sure we'll have on tonight.  The movie is Abbott and Costello in "In Society." I do hope it is better than "Lost in a Harem."

          We have an appendectomy tonight that I'll probably attend after the movie.

          There was no mail again today so I am practically out of things to say.  So I'll say "I love you, Sweetheart."  I'm sure that that can bear repeating.  After dinner tonight, a few of us got to shooting the bull about home and family.  Gee I felt homesick.  Just to see you and hold you in my arms for a few minutes would be such bliss.  And to have Linda and Norma climb over me and get lint all over my "blues" would be such fun.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a while longer.  Do you remember when I'd come home and shoo the kids away because of the afore mentioned lint?  I'll never be like that again.

          Well darling, there isn't much more for me to say so--goodnight my love until tomorrow.

Devotedly,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment