Operational Fatigue


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 10 January 1945, 7:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          And so another hot day is nearing its end.  Didn't do any dentistry today.  My office deck was being painted for a change.  So I had the day for catching up on my paper work

          I made up three separate files.  One was for filing wardroom mess statements, one for welfare records and one as my own personal file for records, orders and important papers.

          Then I consulted the captain about buying $100 worth of magazine subscriptions for the ship's crew and officers.  When that was completed I retired for a little reading.  I finished "Beat to Quarter" by C.S. Forester and enjoyed every page of it.

          Then I had my hair cut, showered, glanced through the "Blue Jackets Manual," dressed and had dinner.

          The movie tonight is "In the Meantime Darling."  I don't know anything about it or the players but here's hoping.  The movie last night, "Laura," was very good.  Be sure to see it.

          No mail today, but here is some news.  Hansen is leaving and returning to the states for medical treatment.  The reason given is "operational fatigue."  I haven't talked to the doctor about him yet, but for the past week or so his actions have reminded me of Rose Weinstein in many ways.  Anyway, I'd rather stay out here for a while longer than go back for such a reason as his.  I'm giving Ambie our phone and address.  If he is anywhere near he will call on you or at least phone you collect.

          Well Honey, there is nothing new as yet and I do hope to hear good news as a result of our last Philippine campaign.

          In the meantime, with all my love, keep the home fires burning.

Your impatient lover,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment