Broke My Fountain Pen

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 12 February 1945, 7:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello darling, how is my Sweet today?  This morning was a busy but enjoyable one.  Extractions all morning and that was fun for a change.  However I did manage four fillings.
          After lunch I had two more extractions and was all through for the day.  Don't ask me what happened but I'm glad I didn't have to work.
          You are probably wondering about my pen.  Well it rolled off my desk and one of the prongs of the nub broke off.  I ground the other prong down and polished the point up.  It writes pretty heavy now but I finally got it smooth.  I'm not going to do any more fussing with it.  When I get back I'll have a new point put on.
          Got three letters from you this morning. One contained the "Modern Dentistry" booklet, another "Temple Tattler" and the third some U.S. News clippings with a very short note.  Well, I suppose I'll get more mail tomorrow.  This afternoon I got a nice letter from Dave.
          Caught up on my correspondence.  I wrote to Deb and Dave, Ruth and Harry, mother and the Leavys.  I have some others to write to but they'll have to keep a little longer.
          We have another poor movie tonight but I guess I'll go anyway.  It is "Missing Juror."  I hope it is at least passing.
          Not a damn thing worth talking about.  Every day is a repetition of the one before.  The only consolation is that we can't stay here much longer (that's what we thought when we first got here, too). Sooner or later we'll all come home.
          Good night my Sweet, till we meet again tomorrow.  Hugs and kisses to all three of you.
Love,
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment