Navy Changes Its Mind Just Like a Woman


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 22 January 1945, 9:45 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Just got back from another 4.0 movie.  We had "From the Bowery to Broadway" a musical with Maria Montez, Jack Oakie and several other stars.  See it, it's entertaining.

          The mailman was good to me today and brought me nine letters.  There were six from you, a letter from Deb and two birthday cards--one from Libby and Nat and one from Loretta.

          Now to your letters.  They're postmarked the 7th, 9th and 12th which still leaves the 11th and 12th to come plus whatever comes after the 13th.  Packages are still coming through so here's hoping I get mine soon.

          First darling, don't get you heart set on my being home in three months.  You know the Navy changes its mind just like a woman.  My chances still look good but still there is always the possibility that____.  Also if we did return in three months it would take somewheres between twenty days and a month's sailing time to get back to civilization. So be patient and hope for the best, but please don't work yourself up into what could turn out as a big disappointment.

          Glad Dave made corporal but Deb writes he's in the "line" which means he is due for overseas duty and that aint good.  I don't know what instructions Dave can give Sol.  For the amount of time Sol has been in he has progressed further than Dave. I bet he comes out of this war with the higher rate.

          Don't feel badly about my not hearing from you daily.  I still hold the record amongst the officers for the most mail and when I do get any it is always a stack.

          I don't know what more to say about Arrowhead except wait and see.

          The Willie, Wally,and Mary story is interesting but it isn't new except that now that Mary caught up with Willie the cat is out of the bag so the cat (Willie) may as well play.  What surprises me is that his health stands up to it all.

          Yes dear by the time I get home it should be Lieutenant without the j.g.  I hardly know what to ask for as a gift from Libby.  "Coronet" would be nice but it really doesn't matter.

          I'm glad to hear about Abe Weinberg.  He is a bright chap and should go far in the Navy and out.  Right now they are crying for men in certain fields for additional training. Many men are really getting terrific training at no expense to themselves and it will stand them in good stead after the war.  There is just one catch.  I doubt very much whether these fellows who are getting all this training will be released.  It is my guess that they will be kept on for many years.

          Enjoyed your report on the installation.  Next year we have a date to attend it together.

          The Arnerichs, Paul and Vincent are brothers.  One graduated in '31 and one in '32.  They are both in the Navy one being stationed at the hospital in San Diego and the other out here.

          Don't stop sending packages or mail.  Goodness gal. That was scuttlebutt and it depends entirely on the progress of certain military campaigns.  Besides if we return, mail will always go to our next port and held there until we arrive.  So, take it easy and keep those panties on.  I'll take them of personal-like when I get there.

          No more for now so good night my Sweet and pleasant dreams.

Loving you always,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment