Put Mail Orderly On Report

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 26 January 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          I really wasn't expecting any mail but I got two letters and a card with your lip imprint on it.  All were postmarked the 19th, that's only six days to get here.
          This morning was a rather busy one for me.  By 11:00 AM I had done thirteen fillings, one extraction and qualified two men for submarine duty.
          This afternoon was field day, so while Alexander was scrubbing and polishing I "crapped out" in my rack and finished reading "Forever Amber."  What a gal!  I suppose you are wondering why I haven't begun "Fountainhead" yet.  I want to finish the books I've been reading for some time.  When I get them from the library, I must read them and get them back into circulation.  "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is the last on my list and then I'll read my own books, "Fountainhead" and "The Apostle."
          This afternoon the mail orderly got out of line with me and I put him on report.  The captain held "mast" on him and gave him fifty hours extra duty.  That fellow is very arrogant and mean. He is disliked by the whole crew.  I understand that after today's episode we're going to get rid of him.
          Now to your letter.  I'm sorry that Norma has been acting up at night lately.  I do hope it is a very temporary indisposition and that by the time you get this letter she'll be all over it.
          It doesn't look like we'll be leaving here soon, but there is still a good chance of our returning sometime between April and June.  Tomorrow this may change again.
          You seem to be getting plenty of teaching now.  Between our combined salaries we should come out ahead on the deal.  On the first of the month I'll have $344 due me.  I'll draw $44 to pay my mess bill ($30) and $14 will be pin money for the month.
          Go ahead with you Arrowhead plans.  If and when we get back and you're up there I'll arrange to join you there.
          "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "To Have and Have Not" are both worth seeing.  Tonight we have "Princess and Pirate" with Bob Hope.  Having a flag aboard does help us get better pictures and other comforts as well.
          Don't be afraid of your letters being dull or too long.  Every word in them is precious.  Believe me without mail I'd go nuts out here.
          Glad you liked the necklaces.  There are numerous varieties shells and your necklace will be of a different variety (when I get a long enough chain.).  I'm going to make a charm bracelet with a variety of shells and send it on right away.  I'll see what I can do with the other chains you sent.
          Yes Ambie is the guy who lost his appendix.  He is an engineer, about 31 or 32 years old and a lieutenant.  He is addressed as Mr. Hansen, not lieutenant.
          I couldn't explain about "Philippine Victories" but nevertheless that is the case. I'm going to sign off darling with remember the night of July 25, 1934 at the Roosevelt Hotel?  How about having our second honeymoon there?  OK it's a date.
Love,
Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment